Please recommend a venue

thanka2

My son will be turning two in four months. Seems like there is plenty of time to plan a birthday party but I want to start working on this a bit earlier.

Our house is small so I want to have his birthday party at a venue in Hong Kong--not a restaurant but some place that is designed to host birthday parties for young kids. I want to do something simple and he'll likely only be inviting 5 or so kids and their moms and dads so it won't be a huge affair.

Can anyone recommend good venues around HK for this type of thing? How much do they cost for rental etc. and what have your own experiences been?

Thanks!

Where are you? In Discovery Bay you can rent out Midget Gems which is a kids playroom. DD had her third party with them.

Welcome to Midget Gems Kid's Club

You may also want to try the following and see if they have party packages:
* Playtown, - Welcome to PlayTown! Shop 121, Podium Level 1, The Westwood, 8 Belcher's Street Tel: 2258 9558
* Wise Kids Playroom (Cyberport and soon opening in Causeway Bay) Welcome to Wise-Kids
* Toy Library - Booking essential on 2921 0386 or in person. Can book one week in advance. You can also show up and hope for a 'standy-by' ticket.

I will be watching this thread as I am looking for ideas to host a 5th birthday later in the year.

Baby Cake at Horizon Plaza is often having birthday parties, they have toys, tables for kids and parents, cakes, ballons, it's not too big and very friendly...

But Wise kids, Playtown, My Gym, JWT all these places charge u anything between HKD 3000-5000 and if u are having only 5 kids it works out very expensive. If ur building has a club house or a friend's building where u could have the party it will work out much cheaper.

Baby cake at Horizon plaza is a good place and we did look at it for our son's 2nd birthday but at 2 the kids are not likely be that interested in baking etc. in terms of size it is perfect

Why not just organize a picnic at the beach or if there's a park near you. Give each child a bucket of beach toys when they arrive, and that will keep them occupied. Run a few silly relay games with Dads/Mums. You can bring some finger food and drinks and have pizza delivered to the beach. :)

i'd be happy to rent my place to you, i wouldn't charge $3000 either...probably $1000 would be fine. you'd have access to our toys and if you wanted, we could provide painting etc. if you wanted a "leader" to organise for you some arts & crafts, stories and songs, then it would be a little more, depending on what you were after.

The only thing is, it's only availble on Sundays & Tuesdays currently. In september, it will also be available on Thursdays.

But Wise kids, Playtown, My Gym, JWT all these places charge u anything between HKD 3000-5000 and if u are having only 5 kids it works out very expensive. If ur building has a club house or a friend's building where u could have the party it will work out much cheaper.

Baby cake at Horizon plaza is a good place and we did look at it for our son's 2nd birthday but at 2 the kids are not likely be that interested in baking etc. in terms of size it is perfect

We don't live in a building and have no access to a clubhouse. We live in a village house in the New Territories.

Why not just organize a picnic at the beach or if there's a park near you. Give each child a bucket of beach toys when they arrive, and that will keep them occupied. Run a few silly relay games with Dads/Mums. You can bring some finger food and drinks and have pizza delivered to the beach. :)

I prefer to have the party inside because it will be the end of November. At that time it isn't exactly blizzard weather here in HK but most of my husband's family as well as my husband think when the temperature drops its "freezing."

We went to the beach the week of my son's birthday last year and that sort of turned into a fiasco because he wanted to play in the water and although I didn't think the temperature was too cold, my husband did and so to this day he still reminds me about how I tried to "freeze our son to death." Additionally, we don't live anywhere near a clean, nice beach.

As far as parks go, there is one nearby us but there aren't any really suitable eating areas (picnic tables) and its a bit dirty.

I just feel like indoors would be much more manageable especially with my energetic son and his energetic friends. :tongue:

Are there any multi-purpose venues that are rentable at a reasonable price? Honestly, I want to be the one to do most of the planning and work--I just need a room.

you should check with the gov't sports facilities in your area. some mums suggested to me for a christmas party that i book at one of the sports "halls"... supposedly really cheap, and if you book in advance, you shouldn't have any problem getting the day you want.... only thing is that the time may be very limited... maybe 1-2 hours...

thanka2, what's your budget for the room rental? and are you thinking of staying in the NT for the party? apparently, there are some clubhouses of residential buildings that are willing to rent out their activity rooms even to non residents. you might want to ring around and check that out around your area.

You can try Starbucks. I know they have programs for kids party at affordable price with food and drinks. Check with the store at Tai Po Mega Mall I know they have a kids program next week. What is your party size?

you should check with the gov't sports facilities in your area. some mums suggested to me for a christmas party that i book at one of the sports "halls"... supposedly really cheap, and if you book in advance, you shouldn't have any problem getting the day you want.... only thing is that the time may be very limited... maybe 1-2 hours...

That might be just the ticket! My son loves sports and especially football (soccer). I wonder if we might be able to get sports equipment too? Hmmm...I will check! And cheap is good! Cheap is good! Honestly, a 2-hour party for a 2-year-old is quite enough!

thanka2, what's your budget for the room rental? and are you thinking of staying in the NT for the party? apparently, there are some clubhouses of residential buildings that are willing to rent out their activity rooms even to non residents. you might want to ring around and check that out around your area.

Hmmm....budget....cheap. The cheaper, the better. 500-1000 HKD would be great! I would prefer to stay nearby for the party because I plan to "cater" and plan it myself so I don't want to haul things on public transport too far (we don't have a car). If it's nearby we could take a taxi.

The thing is, where we live--really, there aren't any big highrise apartments with clubhouses--even the big housing estates are all just single-family village houses without clubhouses. Even the closest "town" has maybe one or two housing estates that might have a clubhouse. I don't even know where to start looking as far as renting clubhouses goes.

You can try Starbucks. I know they have programs for kids party at affordable price with food and drinks. Check with the store at Tai Po Mega Mall I know they have a kids program next week. What is your party size?

Do all Starbucks do this or just the one in Tai Po? Tai Po is really far for us from here. I've never heard of Starbucks offering catering? Where would a group of energetic 2-year-olds run around at? The type of children I'm talking about aren't the ones who are going to sit down and quietly munch on birthday cake. What kind of things does Starbucks do with these kids?

Hey there. I haven't made any decisions yet. I'm actually thinking because we are expanding our living space of holding a party at our house because we have a roof to our village house that we can use--that is if the weather isn't too cold. My son's birthday falls at the end of November. Last year it was a bit chilly but also sunny and pleasant--the wind was the biggest problem. I think I've recruited a friend to help me make a pretty cake but now I have to think of activities.

Does anyone have any other ideas for activities to do at home for a 2-year-old, active boy's birthday party?

I've called LCSD and ask re: renting sports hall or activity rooms but unfortunately they do not allow eating inside, so that's no good for a party then. I even asked if they issue permits to hold a children's party in a park/playground and they dont allow this either. I actually got a friend who has done this for her child's bday and they were asked not to set up the playground for a party (they were just putting up a simple banner and setting up food) as it's for public use.

Im a D-I-Y type of mom and I want to celebrate my child's bday on a budget. I am hoping to find a bare place that I could rent so we'll save money by bringing our own food and set up the place the way we want to.

if it is a public facility, then they have no right to ask you to remove a "happy birthday" banner...

for my son's first birthday, we went to the park in Discovery Bay and had a great time. there were probably 40 adults and plenty of kids. we brought down a picnic table and a few chairs, we even hung up a pinata!

Back