Dentist help please

jaetee

I know how important it is to get the teeth/gums in good health before trying to get pregnant, so am trying to find a dentist who can do the usual exam and cleaning, but who isnt overly expensive since I do not have insurance coverage yet (need 12 months in coverage before dental benefits can be used).

Any dentist recommendations? I read about Dr. Lee on this site, but not sure how much he charges.

What is a general pricing guideline for an exam and cleaning? In the US it was under US$100 for both, and wondering if it is about the same in HK.

Thanks so much for advice/suggestions. :)

Our toddler saw Dr. Raymond Lee in Central last December. The charge was $500 for consultation, cleaning, and stain removal. I'm not sure about the charge for an adult, but wouldn't think it'll be much more than for a child. Maybe you'd like to call up his clinic and enquire? Tel: 25211663

Our son also saw Dr. Denise Giles at the Adventist Hospital. Her charge (as of last June) was $400. Tel: 28350500

We like both dentists equally. We only switched to Dr. Lee because of his more convenient location.

I just had an appointment this weekend with Dr. Lee at the American Dental Group (I assume that this is the same Dr. that you mentioned). I was very, very pleased with his manner would recommend him to anyone that asks. Also, the hygienist, Irene was fantastic as well. I am 13 weeks pregnant. They were both very sensitive to that and offered a lot of advice.

The cleaning/polish and exam cost $900. Office phone 2522 2661.

Hope this helps.

Bayley & Jackson have branches all over HK. I don't know their charges, because I only go to them for cleaning which is covered by my health plan. But, all the dentists I've encountered working for them were great.

Bayley & Jackson
http://www.bjdental.com/

There's a list of numbers on the web page and I guess you could call them and ask their pricing.

Thanks for the recommendations, I really do appreciate them.

I did call Dr. Lee's office but was told they dont provide any pricing over the phone - the only time they will give pricing (even range for simple cleaning) is after the mandatory check up. :(

We saw Dr Lee last month as well. Lovely man and his nurse is so warm and friendly. Cleaning for me was $900 and for D $200 for his 1st checkup (no cleaning).

Thanks Rani - did the $900 include the check up fee as well, or was that extra? And when you scheduled the appointment, did they let you schedule the cleaning after the checkup, or did you have to go two separate times?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Yes the $900 included the check-up as well. Did it all in one visit. When you call just let Irene know you are coming in for yr annual check-up + cleaning.

HTH

Dr Raymond Lee is at Pacific Dental Care, above Body Shop in Central, phone number is 2521 1663

Yes, thats about how much we pay for my annual cleaning+ check up with Dr Lee, but saying that everytime my husband goes, he has 2 seperate cleaning sessions with Dr Lee because his smoke and tartar stains are always so bad, so it costs him more than mine-I think thats what the receptionist (Christy)meant when they say they don't quote over the phone, because its better to to actually see what really needs to be done when you get there (always nice looking at the before and after pictures of your teeth :)

Anyway, highly recomend him beacuse of his honesty and very gentle care (we had a very bad experience with dentists in HK before we found him- they were more interested in $$$$ rather than what we needed ).
Hope this helps jaetee, and good luck on the preggers front!

I had a wisdom tooth extraction by Dr. Lee 3 weeks ago. It was a really pleasant experience. None of the horrors associated with the usual extraction. Procedure was over before i even noticed it (he was very gentle, calm and tries hard to distract you), healing was fast and not painful at all. I would recommend him anytime.

Thanks for the recommendation

Finally gathered up the courage to take my 3 1/2 year old to see Dr. Lee yesterday thanks to the glowing reviews/discussion that I read on Geobaby. Overall the experience was positive for us as both Dr. Lee & his assistant tried to put my son & me at ease. Dr. Lee proceeded to patiently answer A LOT of the questions that I had and provided me with some very good advise. Would definitely recommend him to 1st timers.

HKForNow, glad it went well. Did Dr Ray mention when we to start flossing? Just read that kids should start flossing when their molars come in and their teeth are touching, between ages 2-4.

Anyone started flossing?

German Medical Toothpaste

Dear Jaetee,

check out this amazing toothpaste from Germany:
www.pearlsanddents.com

My GP Dr. Lauren Bramley recommended it to me and it is the perfect prophylaxis before and whilst being pregnant. P&D contains tiny soft cleansing pellets that reach deep into inter-dental spaces and gently message your gums. It is also free of Triclosan which is a substance I would avoid whilst being pregnant (all the others are loaded with that chemical). P&D is also rich in essential oils - extremely soothing for the gums. I had minor gum bleeding during my pregnancy and after I started to use P&D, the trouble was gone

I still use P&D today. You can order online (special online offer with free delivery within Hong Kong/ takes a day or two) or as far as I know both Dr. Lucy Lord and Dr. Lauren Bramly sell the product in their practice

Really worth a try.
Maya

Great Prophylaxis Results with German Medical Toothpaste

I know how important it is to get the teeth/gums in good health before trying to get pregnant, so am trying to find a dentist who can do the usual exam and cleaning, but who isnt overly expensive since I do not have insurance coverage yet (need 12 months in coverage before dental benefits can be used).

Any dentist recommendations? I read about Dr. Lee on this site, but not sure how much he charges.

What is a general pricing guideline for an exam and cleaning? In the US it was under US$100 for both, and wondering if it is about the same in HK.

Thanks so much for advice/suggestions. :)

Dear Jaetee,

check out this amazing toothpaste from Germany:
www.pearlsanddents.com

My GP Dr. Lauren Bramley recommended it to me and it is the perfect prophylaxis before and whilst being pregnant. P&D contains tiny soft cleansing pellets that reach deep into inter-dental spaces and gently message your gums. It is also free of Triclosan which is a substance I would avoid whilst being pregnant (all the others are loaded with that chemical). P&D is also rich in essential oils - extremely soothing for the gums. I had minor gum bleeding during my pregnancy and after I started to use P&D, the trouble was gone

I still use P&D today. You can order online (special online offer with free delivery within Hong Kong/ takes a day or two) or as far as I know both Dr. Lucy Lord and Dr. Lauren Bramly sell the product in their practice

Really worth a try.
Maya

Back