Cloth nappies

FirsttimeDad,

I used a combination of Chinese prefolds (from the street market) and something similar to Kooshies. Have a read through the simlar threads below on the diffferent types. Also check out the funky nappies from www.bumwear.com

personnally I have tried all the brands mentioned above, and many others :)
when I started cloth diapering 2 years ago, there wasn't much too find locally so I ordered most from the US and Canada. But you do have more choices locally today.
Then it simply depends on you, and what are you looking for.. if you wish something cheap, something cute, quick-drying or wathever.. for the 'cheapest' option, you might go with the prefold/flat nappies style sold in the wet markets for instance.
today, I'm still using different kinds according to the circomstance (night nappy, outing nappy, home nappy etc..)

but it is not a bad idea to start reading the previous threads on cloth nappies/diapers.
HTH
doubibou :)

rani said:
FirsttimeDad,

I used a combination of Chinese prefolds (from the street market) and something similar to Kooshies. Have a read through the simlar threads below on the diffferent types. Also check out the funky nappies from www.bumwear.com

Hi Rani,

You mean the chinese baby shops sells prefolds too? Ii went to one last time and showed me a typical muslin cloth, which i don't like. I like the prefold one that is thicker in the middle.

When my first baby was born, I got trial packs for a number of different brands. Didn't like Kooshies all-in-ones (available in B2B) because found they leaked, and I suspect this is a problem generally with all-in-ones: they are convenient to get on and off, but having a separate outer layer gives you a second chance to catch explosions. All-in-ones also take longer to dry.

Liked Totts Botts and Motherease, and eventually decided on Motherease because (1) I have an aversion to velcro found in TBs - Motherease have poppers (and choice between velcro or popper covers), and (2) the Motherease one-size means you only have to buy one batch. With Motherease Sandies & Totts Botts, you have to buy different sizes as your baby grows, which doubles the expense.

The drawback to Motherease one-size is that for little babies there are extra folds which make them take slightly longer to get on and off, plus rather bulky so you need "big bum" clothes for them (dungarees are great), but that applies to all cloth nappies to some degree. Motherease Sandies will be more fitted, and Totts Botts have the advantage of being available in HK via www.doubibou.com. This shop did not exist when I bought my nappies.

Good luck!

Hi there,
I'm a big cloth nappy fan, having got into it when my baby was 6 months. We used bambino mio covers with terry flat nappies for a few months while I built up a stash of nice fitted, all-in-one and pocket nappies. I have a good variety now!

I really like pocket nappies for Hong Kong, as they dry quickly but are lovely and trim. Bumwear does pocket nappies and they are one-size which is always very convenient. I just ordered one of their pockets to try, from bumwear.com . I also have a Happy Heinys, from nappypooh.com which I love, and some ones from doubibou.com including totsbots bamboozle and some of their own brand nappies.

I agree with JennyB about the Kushies, I only have one but I tend to use it when I know it will only be a wet nappy with no risk of a blowout! When you have a few different kinds you start to instinctively reach for the right one for the right time of day. They are all good for different purposes. Other people prefer to have all of one kind though, and I can understand that.

I also get nappies from Australia, as there's a much bigger range, but then of course you have to pay postage so it adds up.

With regards to prefolds, I believe the ones from the markets that Rani is talking about are not prefolds in the American sense. The bambino mio nappies are prefolds, which you can get in Eugene Baby Club or Mon Bebe in Causeway Bay.

I could be wrong?

Last edited:
Hi HKAussie

Just wondering if you have used the ones from bumwear yet and if you think they would be any good for newborns. They seem a more reasonable price than some others not sure if that means not quite as usefuL?

I'm planning to buy a few types (baby not due till early dec) but quite a bit to research. I gather from previous posts you need, the nappy, liner (for convenience), booster (not always needed) and cover to keep the leaks in! I guess like you I can buy a few and build slowly as i decide what works depending on baby size etc

thanks

firsttimedad said:
Hi Rani,

You mean the chinese baby shops sells prefolds too? Ii went to one last time and showed me a typical muslin cloth, which i don't like. I like the prefold one that is thicker in the middle.

Sorry for the confusion. We bought the flat Chinese ones and would fold when we ironed them. There are a number of ways to fold a flat diaper, we went with the origami diaper fold.

http://www.angelfire.com/id/megnkatesplace/folds.html

I also got a box of flushable nappy liners from Mothercare.

HTH
Rani

Last edited:
MamaS,

We inherited a few from a friend. They also sell them in the street markets. Look for any stall selling baby stuff.

Hi rach,
Sorry to be answering a bit late - I got my Bumwear nappy but haven't tried it yet as our washing machine is broken (boo hoo!). So we're in disposables for a while. It looks gorgeous though, and very convenient with the one-size design of it. My baby is 12 months though, so can't comment on how it works on a newborn. I think with one-size nappies you do compromise on trimness. If you are happy to accept that it might look a bit more bulky while they are tiny, but that the payoff is that you don't have to buy more nappies as they grow bigger, then it would be a good choice.

(Edited to add, if you buy Bumwear, don't forget to add inserts to your order. They are listed a little further down the page. There's no reason you have to use the Bumwear ones, you can stuff anything absorbent inside, but if you buy theirs, you know they will fit and it's convenient to get them all at once).

It is really hard getting your head around all the bits and pieces associated with nappies, I agree! You're right in your list of things you need, but not all nappies need all the elements.

A 'pocket' nappy like Bumwear does not need a cover. It's waterproof already. What it does need is an insert, which is a piece of absorbent fabric that you put inside the nappy. This kind of nappy is great for Hong Kong, as it dries quickly (as do flat nappies).

Boosters are not essential, but they are good if you want extra absorbency, such as if you're going out, or if you want a nappy to last a bit longer. So for a pocket nappy, you'd put that inside with the insert. The good thing about that is, with all the absorbent stuff inside the nappy and not sitting on top of it, there's only the nice fleece nappy lining touching baby's bottom, and it helps keep them dry. With flat nappies and covers, the baby's skin is in contact with wet cotton.

Liners are also not essential. They just make life a bit easier. Personally I wouldn't bother with any non-flushable liners, since you still have to wash them off and put them in the nappy bucket. Flushables are very convenient - pick up most of the poo inside the liner and put it into the toilet, hopefully without getting your hands dirty! If you don't have a liner, you have to wash the solids off into the toilet before putting the nappy in the pail. It's ok, but I can imagine with a newborn it just adds that extra hassle when you have so much on your plate.

Bambino Mio flushable liners are available from Eugene baby stores and also somewhere else that I can't remember. Rani mentioned above that she got some liners from Mothercare.

MamaS, Mothercare does plastic pants too :-)

An online store in Taiwan also sells US-made pocket nappies - onesize and multi-size - and other cloth-nappy-related items. The site is www.littlewonders.com.tw and it's in English and Chinese. You can pay with paypal and they have a cheap courier service but you have to email them to arrange it.

I recently ordered the swim diapers from Little Wonders and they are great! They wash and dry really quick and the snap buttons make them easy to remove as well. The designs are also too cute to resist!

Back