Adoption

Tracy

We have recently adopted a child in Hong Kong and I am trying to find the contact details of any association here for people like us to meet up etc.

hi Tracy, may I know how you adopt your child in HK? What procedures you need to take? As me and my hubby are interested to adopt a child in HK, but people said we must be infertile and the procedures are complicated...is this true?

Chinese/Korean Adoption by US citizens living in HK

My husband and I are US citizens (he's of Korean descent and I'm of Chinese descent). We would like to adopt from Korea (first choice) or China. Does anybody have any advice or contacts that can assist us? I believe we should use an agency in the US to facilitate the adoption but they cannot do a homestudy in HK. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My husband and I are US citizens (he's of Korean descent and I'm of Chinese descent). We would like to adopt from Korea (first choice) or China. Does anybody have any advice or contacts that can assist us? I believe we should use an agency in the US to facilitate the adoption but they cannot do a homestudy in HK. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just out of curiousity, have you looked at adopting from HK itself? I've thought of China but China has a myriad of issues to begin with. For starters, one can never be really sure if the child is really abandoned, orphaned or stolen. With Korea, I don't know since that has never crossed my mind.

We are in the process of adopting in HK.

Thanks for your reply.

We have considered HK but we read and heard that most children are a bit older and/or have health issues and I must admit, I'm not prepared for that. Can you share your experiences? I do have the same China concern that you discussed. I'd be willing to consider HK if we could choose a healthy child.

Thanks for your reply.

We have considered HK but we read and heard that most children are a bit older and/or have health issues and I must admit, I'm not prepared for that. Can you share your experiences? I do have the same China concern that you discussed. I'd be willing to consider HK if we could choose a healthy child.

Are you currently based in HK? If you are and have been based here for at least a year, you can start the process. And if you're adopting from HK and you're here yourself, you can chose to adopt a young child with no health issues but the wait might be longer.

international adoption living in hong kong

Hello
I'd like to know if it is possible to adopt child from other country living in Hong Kong.

I'm Italian an will move to HK in 2 months with my husband, we would like to adopt, a HK child or from any other countries as well. I know I will have to be in HK for at least 12 month before we can start the procedures, this is also nessesary if you adopt a foreing child?

Is there are in HK other international adoptions agencies as in Europe?

Thank you!!!
Maria

The US Consulate website has good information that applies to all those interested in adopting from HK.
http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/country/country_395.html

ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR ADOPTIVE PARENTS: Ethnic Chinese are preferred by the government of Hong Kong for adoption. However, non-ethnic Chinese may also adopt if willing to consider an older child or a child with special needs.

Married couples seeking to adopt in Hong Kong should be at least 25 years old and in good physical and mental health. Prospective adoptive parents over age 45 will be considered for adoption if they are willing to accept older children or children with special needs. Parents who already have a special needs child stand a better chance of being approved to adopt a child suffering from complicated illnesses. Prospective adoptive parents should be prepared to prove that their income exceeds the Medium Monthly Domestic Household Income set by the Social Welfare Department. The Medium Monthly Domestic Household Income requires that after a family has paid all monthly necessary expenditures (such as the mortgage, loans, insurance, helper wages, tuition, etc.), a minimum level of funds are left over for incidental expenses – a family of 3 must show monthly funds of HK$16,000 and a family of 4 must show monthly funds of HK$19,800. The Medium Monthly Domestic Household Income is not available publicly – interested parties should contact the Social Welfare Department directly. Couples residing outside of Hong Kong must submit their tax returns and complete a questionnaire for the Social Welfare Department detailing their financial assets.

Single parents over 25 years old may also apply for adoptions. Preference is given to single parents with special parental skills, such as nursing or social work skills. Some single parents have found that their chances of being approved for adoption in Hong Kong increase if they agree to adopt a child with special needs. Single parents who already have a special needs child stand a better chance of being matched with a special needs adoptee. Single parents must also demonstrate that they possess adequate financial resources -- see paragraph above for details on minimum income.

ADOPTION AUTHORITY IN HONG KONG:
The government office responsible for adoptions in Hong Kong is the Adoption Unit of the Social Welfare Department

Adoption Unit
Social Welfare Department
38 Pier Road
Harbor Building 4/F.
Central, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2852-3107
Fax: (852) 2851-9189
E-mail: [email protected]
Web site: http://www.info.gov.hk/swd

Back